Monday, October 19, 2009

Medium


Several people have asked what I use to do my drawings. The majority of them are done solely with felt-tip pens. There are several manufacturers for the fine-point pens, so it is not difficult to find different colors in a fine-point felt-tip. I have noticed that Wal-Mart carries a sufficient variety. If you want a bit more, then Office Depot, Michael's, or similar stores should give you more choice than you can handle. At one point I also invested in a set of Sharpies with quite a few different colors. These are not quite as fine a tip (notice the difference between the purple and the blue above), they spread a little, and they bleed through more. However, for doing art on porcelain or tile, they are magnificent.

In the above drawing, I also used a crayon for the blue sky background, and then I added the rain in pencil using a straightedge to keep me in line. Most times I don't care if all the lines are not quite parallel, but this time I chose to keep myself straight.

Almost all of my drawings are done on plain printer paper, most of which I have rescued from the recycle bin (some even from the trash can). I am appalled at how much paper (etc.) is thrown away when it is quite good.

Although I also use colored pencils on occasion, as well as the above mentioned media, I much prefer simple fine-point felt-tip pens.

Having said all of that, I have an admission to make. I may return to regular pens. When I use a pen, I only carry the 0.2 mm rolling ball pens. It would be fun to use them for my drawings, and I did at the beginning, back when I was developing my form, but they are not always reliable. But I recently met someone who had a 0.08 mm pen - and envy welled up within me. They ARE avaiable. Maybe some day soon! (if I can find them in several colors)

No comments:

Post a Comment